Saturday, February 1, 2014

Excitement in Depot Town

Since I was out and about at around noon, I figured I would stop at Depot Town to at least catch the Wolverine.  I thought it would look cool blowing away the snow.  I decided to try to park at the parking lot right next to the old depot because I saw a couple of other cars in there.  That turned out to be a huge mistake as I managed to get myself stuck there.  As a couple of people were helping me get unstuck, I first heard the Wolverine coming and then I saw it but it was moving much slower than normal.  It ended up stopping.  As I left the parking lot, I saw the reason for that.
 So I left Depot Town and went and got gas and came back.  On the opposite side of the train there was a mangled car wreck.  I took a picture of it, but I'm not going to post it here.  There weren't any mangled bodies or anything in the picture, but the car can tell a good chunk of the story.  What's funny is if I hadn't been getting unstuck, I probably would have gotten a picture of the train as it was hitting the car giving me an even bigger moral dilema.
 Just a normal shot of Depot Town.
 I figured this picture would tell part of the story.  The stopped train with a police car in front of it.  Regardless of the cause, the train has to stick around while the authorities sort through all the information.   Based on the way the car looked, I think she might have been trying to cross the tracks and got stuck or something.  I guess this provides us a reminder that trains are not to be trifled with.
 In the picture of the car I took, there were firefighters around it.  I think they were trying to get someone out of the car.   For the sake of completeness of this post, I checked out the Ann Arbor News.   I saw that there was a woman and her daughter in the car.  The woman seemed to be okay, the daughter was taken to the CS Mott Hospital and at the time of this writing was listed in unstable condition.  It sounds like the woman didn't realize she was stopped across the tracks.
 Just a shot of the engine.  I guess incidents like this are a reminder to be extra careful in areas where there are tracks.  In this case though, I don't know how she couldn't have known she was on tracks.  There are crossing gates all around the area.  They were all working.
 And another shot of the engine.  I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to take a train picture.
 Looking down Cross Street.
One more shot of Depot Town before moving on.

No comments: