Saturday, August 24, 2019

Sunday Spotting at O'Hare - Gateway Road

Before heading home on Sunday, I decided to do some spotting at O'Hare.  It was probably a good thing I did because I would have been driving in a thunderstorm all the way home.  I didn't catch up with it until I got home.  Since the planes were coming in from the west, that meant I had to go spotting on Gateway Road.  It's not a bad spot but it doesn't give much time to get pictures.
 First up was a Cessna 208 Carava arriving from Burlington, Iowa.  It was first flown in 1982 and production started in 1984.  It is powered by a 675 horsepower engine and can carry nine passengers.  There have been 2,600 produced.
 A United A320 arriving from Charlotte.
 I couldn't make out the tale number for this one.  I'm pretty sure it is a CRJ though.
 A 737 arriving from Denver.
 A 777 arriving from Denver.  Typically when a plane of this size arrives from a more or less local airport that is a shuttle run.  They don't need one at the other airport but they do need it at the airport is flying to.  Typically a plane like this is used on international routes (or long domestic routes).
 When I first saw this plane, I saw that it was a 737 and thus I wasn't terribly interested.  There was another spotter nearby, I saw that he was taking pictures and then I realized why.  It is a 737 from Cayman Airlines.  I think it is also an older model.  This one was arriving from Grand Cayman.
 This is a Cape Air Cessna 402.  I don't remember where it was coming from but it can carry nine passengers.
 A Delta 717 flying in from Atlanta.
 A Scandanavian A330 coming in from Copenhagen.
 A United A320 coming in from Vancouver.
 An American A321 coming in from Los Angeles.
 A Swiss Air A330 arriving from Zurich.
 A United 737 arriving from Minneapolis.
 A United 777 arriving from Brussels.
 An Alaska Air A320 arriving from Seattle.
 One of the planes that I was looking forward to, the British Airways or Speedbird 747 arriving from London.  If I had been spotting on Saturday, I could have caught the heritage livery.  Oh well, seeing the Red Arrows was better.
 An American 737 arriving from Sacramento.
 This pilot must have seen something he didn't like because he started to power up and re-enter the pattern.
 A United 737 from San Jose.
 This Qatar Cargo 777 was arriving from Luxembourg.
 A China Airlines Cargo plane coming in from Taiwan via Anchorage.  Typically cargo companies will fly through Anchorage so that they can maximize the amount of cargo they can carry from Asia.
 Since I like the 747, another view of it.  Plus this is a pretty neat livery.
 An United A319 coming in from Memphis.
 An American 787 arriving from London.  One of the things I like about O'Hare is all the 787s that I see.
 A United 737 arriving from Fort Lauderdale.
 A United 737 arriving from Dallas-Fort Worth.
 Because this is a different looking 737, I had to do this view.
 A China Eastern 777 arriving from Shanghai.
 Another plane that I was waiting for.
 The Lufthansa 747-8 arriving from Frankfurt.  This one is wearing a Lufthansa heritage scheme.  I like it.  I especially like the black nose.  I think all planes should have black noses.
 A United 737 coming in from Los Angeles.
 A United 777 coming in from Hong Kong.
 An A330 belonging to Alitalia comes in from Rome.  I discovered that I could include the sign in my pictures.  That gives you an idea of how low they pass by here.  It's kind of cool actually.
 A Hainan Airlines 787 coming in from Beijing.
 A United 767 coming in from London.
 An ERJ-145 coming in from Des Moines.
 I couldn't make out the tail number for this one.
 A Copa Airlines 737 coming in from somewhere.
 A United 767 coming in from Amsterdam.
 This Delta plane was also doing a missed approach.  I think it might have been coming from Detroit.
 An MD-90 coming in from Atlanta.  I think Delta is going to start retiring these planes next year.
 An American A321 arriving from Denver.
 An American 737 coming in from St. Louis.  Before American bought TWA, St. Louis was one of their main hubs.
 An Aero Mexico 737 coming in from Mexico City.
 An American Airlines 737 coming from Dallas-Fort Worth.
 An Austrian 777 coming in from Vienna.
 A United A319 coming in from Atlanta.
 A United 777 coming in from Newark.
 This is another livery that I like.
It belongs to KLM which is the Dutch Airline and it was coming in from Amsterdam.  This was the last plane coming in from the west before they switched.

No comments: