Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Dossin Great Lakes Museum

We had a little bit of time before the Dossin Museum closed, so we stopped there.  It is kind of a cool place but a little on the tiny side.  I was actually hoping to catch a freighter while I was inside because they have a pretty cool pilot house.
The have a couple cannons on the front to commemorate the Battle of Lake Erie.
I'm not sure what instrument this is.  I think it is a speed indicator but it seems a little fast.
Behind the museum they have markers showing distances to important spots on the Great Lakes.
They took a pilot house from an old freighter and coverted it to be a part of the musuem.  It's pretty cool because it gives a nice view of the Detroit River and you can almost imagine you're piloting a freighter.
The engine telegraph and a couple other things.
I'm not sure what these are.
The steering wheel.
Another view of the wheel.
I tried to get a view of the River in the back, but it was too bright compared to the rest.

A pretty decent model of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
A model of one of the railroad ferries.  This one was the Pere Marquette.
This is one of the anchors from the Edmund Fitzgerald.

1 comment:

scott davidson said...

I had fun choosing this particular painting online that now hangs in my downtown office, from Wahooart.co, who sells canvas prints of art masterpieces. While the original is treasured in some art museum in England, my print http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/Opra/BRUE-8LHS4U, of this painting by Edward Burne-Jones is very much appreciated by my staff and clients. The print quality is really excellent.