Sunday, June 12, 2022

The American Courage on the Saginaw River

 So yesterday I decided I wanted to go boatwatching but I had a few choices.

The Wilfred Sykes and Algoma Intrepid were going into Muskegon.  They arrived early in the morning, so if I went there, I would have to catch them leaving.
The Saginaw was heading to Holland but she wasn't going to be there until later in the afternoon.
The Alpena was heading to Chicago but she arrived there early in the morning and wasn't going to be leaving until later in the evening.  Cement is a long unload.
The American Courage arrived in Zilwaukee in the middle of the night and she was starting to leave as I was starting to leave.
The nice thing about a ship leaving the Saginaw River is that it takes a while, so I had some time to catch her.
I saw her as she was passing James Clements airport, so I knew I had a little more time.
I stopped at the Cass Avenue Bridge park first.
It is a nice spot for boatwatching and the Saginaw River is a nice spot for catching them.
She continues up the river.
Next I went to the park that was made where the Third Street Bridge collapsed.
The Third Street Bridge was struck by a freighter and collapsed in 1976.  
It was a swing bridge and pretty cool looking.
The sky was pretty nice looking too.
Her pilothouse.
A shot of her plimsoll lines.
Another shot of her pilothouse.
The American Courage approaches the Liberty Bridge.  The Liberty Bridge replaced the Third Street Bridge.  It is a bascule bridge compared to a swing bridge.  It is also four lanes instead of two.  Construction was completed in 1986.
I then headed to Smith Park in Essexville to catch her again.  This was not built over a former bridge.

But she was passing a railroad bridge.  I'm not sure if this bridge is still used.
Anyway, this is a pretty nice spot to catch boats.  Good views whichever way they are coming.
My only complaint is the amount of cottonwood in the air.  Made it look like there was dust on my lens.
She makes the turn.
She continues the turn.
The bow shot.
She follows a pontoon boat.
One more shot with my normal camera.
And then I switched to my drone.
I never noticed how much was in the dock on the other side of the river.  They use it to stage windmills
She starts to pass.
The beam shot.
She continues on.
She is heading to Cedarville where she will pick up another load of stone.
The view of the other side of the Saginaw River.

After this, I headed to Muskegon but I didn't make it in time to catch the Sykes or Intrepid.  I missed both by about a half hour.  I headed down to Holland next but the Saginaw wouldn't be there for another couple hours, so I headed home.


No comments: