Monday, February 1, 2010

Tahquamenon Falls in January

This is part 1 of what I hope becomes a 12 part series. The Tahquamenon Falls in January. Last year was the first time that I'd been up to the Upper Penninsula in the winter and I'll have to admit that I was amazed by the beauty of the falls in the winter. So this year, I decided to go up there in January. I barely made it as I went on Saturday, but it was worth it. I don't think I've ever seen a forest look quite so white before.

Anyways....enjoy.

A shot of the falls as you are first coming up to the part where you can see them. I hope that I included enough trees to show the variations in the seasons. It actually wasn't too bad getting back to them as they kept the trails fairly clean. Surprisingly, it was warmer up there than at home (barely).

Another shot, but using the telephoto.

This is another spot where you can view the falls. Unfortunately, I can't get the full width in.

Another viewing area. Here you can see the woods behind the falls and you can almost get the same image as being there.

A closeup of the falls.

This is down by the falls and looking downstream. The river is completely frozen over at this point.

The upper portion of the river isn't.

A closer shot of the falls from the side.

Another shot.

This is a shot of the trails. Last year, I found it was easier to walk through at this time than in April because the snow is more solid.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

We were just at the falls in January as well. My hubby and I snowmobiled in the Paradise area. The falls are so beautiful in the winter.