Thursday, August 5, 2021

The Herbert C. Jackson Makes her Way Up the Rouge River

 It wasn't much longer before the ship I wanted to catch was in view.

I took my drone up to see if I could see her approach.  If you look closely near the back, you can see her working her way past the I-75 bridge.  I think she had to slow down in order to wait for a train.  It's interesting to think of a ship waiting for a train.
The train bridge lifted, she was able to continue on her way.  They started to raise the Fort Street Bridge, so I knew she was close.
She passes the railroad bridge.  They have to take it slow as they head up the Rouge River.
She was coming down from Marquette and she was heading to the steel mill.  I'm not sure who owns the steel mill now.
She approaches the bridge.
The Fort Street Bridge is completely new.
The Jackson having experience with hitting bridges.
Sadly the trees were in the way.
But I like this shot.
And I raised my drone a little higher.
After recovering my drone, I headed over to the Dix Avenue Bridge.  I didn't want to use my drone here because I wanted some pictures with my normal camera.
I love taking pictures on the Rouge River.  It gives a different background.
And because the river is so narrow, the ships are much closer than at other places.
Anyway, the lighting is a challenge sometimes.
But I think I got some nice pictures.
She approaches the bridge.
Her pilothouse.
The back of her pilothouse as she passes on the other side of the bridge.
Her hatch crane.
A couple of workers calling out the distance to the edges of the river.
A lifeboat.
Her stack.  She is one of the boats that got scrubbers.
I was a train away from my trifecta.
One more shot before moving on.


No comments: