Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Eve With the Clarke

It seems like Christmas Eve boatwatching has become a tradition of mine.  I'm not sure how many years in a row I've done it but it seems like alot.  I didn't see too much traffic yesterday but what I did see made me interested to head down to Detroit at least.  There were a couple of classic lakers and a ship that doesn't make its way around here that often.
 For the first ship, I thought I would head over to Belle Isle to catch her as she passed.  As I kept watching her, I realized that she was slowing down and heading towards the anchorage.
 I was able to move a little bit closer to get a bigger picture from Belle Isle, but I realized that if I wanted other shots, I would have to go over to Milliken State Park.  I was also hoping to catch the Callaway, but she had passed Belle Isle by the time I got there.
 This shot kind of reminds me of one of my earlier shots of the Arthur M. Anderson at the same spot.  I think she was waiting out some nasty weather.  It turns out that the Philip Clarke stopped here to get fueled by the barge.
 I do have to admit that I like the classic lakers but it's looking like the Clarke could use a little loving.
 I kind of wish I could have gotten her sooner to catch her drop her anchor.  I have to imagine that is quite a sight.
And one more shot before moving on.

No comments: