Friday, April 26, 2019

The American Spirit Heading Upbound

After getting my mom's test done yesterday, we decided to head down to Belle Isle.  There was at least one ship I was hoping to catch.  These other ships were kind of bonuses, as I wasn't expecting
them.
 The first of the ships that I wasn't expecting was this American Spirit.  She is one of thirteen thousand footers that sail on the Great Lakes.
 She was unloading taconite pellets at Zug Island.  Taconite pellets are purified iron pellets that are now used in steel mills.  Most of the pure iron has been mined and what remains has to be processed before shipping.  The nice thing about processing it is that it gives a consistent size for cargo holes.
 She is currently on her way back to Duluth.  I'm not sure if she's going for more iron or coal though.  If she's going for coal, it is for one of many power plants on the Great Lakes.
 As I type this, she is just passing DeTour.  She should be in Duluth sometime Sunday.
 Then she will load and be back on her way again.
 Anyway, it was nice to catch her.  This is the style of thousand footer that I like.
 I really like it now that it's got the scrubber installed.  With the steam coming out, it looks like a steamship of old.
 She passes by.
She is registered in Wilmington, DE but will never see it.

No comments: