Sitting in the harbor is the S.S. Badger which is a car ferry that currently goes from Ludington to Manitiwoc, WI.
She is a coal fired car ferry that was originally constructed as a rail-car ferry in 1953 by the Christy Corporation of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. She is named after Bucky Badger which is the Mascot of the University of Wisconsin.
She began service in 1953 for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (later a subsidiary of the Chessie System which is now CSX) which acquired the rail ferry operations when it purchased the Pere Marquette in 1947. In 1983, the rail-car ferries were sold to another company that continued the service until its bankruptcy in 1990. This ended rail ferry service on Lake Michigan.
In 1991, the ferries were bought and refitted by Charles Conrad of Holland, MI. They began service as car ferries in 1992.
Next to the Badger is her sister ship the SS Spartan which is currently used as spare parts for the Badger.