Sunday, March 13, 2011

Yost Ice Arena

I don't often post pictures on here that were taken with my phone but I had the telephoto on my camera and couldn't get a shot of the building. So both of these are taken with my phone. I don't think they are that bad.

Construction of Yost was completed in 1923 and originally was Yost Field House. It was home to many of Michigan's varsity sports including track and basketball. It was also the practice facility for many of the other teams. It was one of the first multi-use sports facilities in the country.

In 1973, it was converted to Yost Ice Arena and the hockey team has played there ever since. In 1996, it underwent a $5.5 million renovation where the first floor was remodeled, seats were added to the north end and various other things were renovated. In 2001, the club seats were added as was additional standing room seats which brought capacity to 6,603 people.

Based on all the taunts and what not, I would say that Yost is probably one of the tougher places to play if you are a visiting team.

1 comment:

BlueDragon said...

Such a beautiful building. Thank goodness Michigan had the foresight to build such a nice structure to house one of the crown jewels of its athletic teams.