Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Quick Stop at Willow Run

I went up to the Troy office today.  I was kind of hoping that I could get some ship shots but things are still a little slow as there are still considerable amounts of ice on the Lakes.  I was thinking of stuff that I could take pictures of and I decided to make a stop at Willow Run.
 I like the fact that my new camera has one of those flip screens.  This lets me get pictures over chain link fences.  This is the B-57 Canberra.  Originally produced in the United Kingdom, it was produced under license by the Martin Aircraft Company in the United States.  It served the role of medium bomber from 1953 to 1983.  It was actually the first jet bomber that dropped bombs in combat.
 The PB4Y-2 Privateer was the Navy version of the B-24 Bomber.  I believe some of these were built at Willow Run.  In fact, I think this particular one was built there.
 The DeHavilland Caribou was produced in Canada.
 A shot of the B-52 and Caribou.
 This particular aircraft is a North American NA-265 Sabreliner.  The Sabreliner was a medium business jet developed by the North American Aviation Company.  It first flew in 1958 and production began in 1962.  When production ended in 1982, there were a little over 800 produced.
 The Grumman Gulfstream II first flew in 1966 and production began in 1967.  Over the years, over 250 have been built.  It has been succeeded by the Gulfstream III.
 Another shot of the Privateer.
My favorite plane here is the B-52 Stratofortress.  Sadly, I can't quite get the right angle of it.  I hope that they move it to their new museum.

No comments: