Deshler is about 30 or so miles to the southwest of Toledo. It was established in the mid 1850's and was originally known as Portage until 1865 when it was known as Alma and in 1870 it became Deshler. It was incorporated as a village in 1876 and by 1888 it found itself becoming the crossroads for the Baltimore and Ohio, Dayton and Michigan and a third railroad. It still serves as the crossroads of the CSX line that goes from Toledo to Cincinatti and the CSX line from Chicago to Cleveland. As such, it gets a fair amount of rail traffic.