Thursday, November 23, 2023

The Michipicoten Makes an Appearance

 So I was deciding on pictures today.  I couldn't spend too much time out that as we were doing a Thanksgiving dinner.  I looked at Marine Traffic and saw that a ship was passing that I wanted to catch.

I like to catch the Michipicoten.  It nothing else for her unique name.  She is named after an island in Lake Superior.
In a prior life, she was the Elton Hoyt, Jr.  Also in that life, she appears in the opening credits for "Grosse Point Blank".  It was pretty cool.
That makes her one of a handful of Great Lakes ships that have appeared in movies.
Of that handful, she is probably the best looking.
She was heading from a stone dock that is on the eastern side of Windsor and almost right across the Detroit River from Belle Isle.
I think I have caught her leaving that dock before.
I'm not sure where she was before that.
But she is heading up to Superior and should be there by Saturday.
She gets closer to the bow shot.
I kind of like this shot.
The bow shot.  This is one of the reasons why I like shooting up in Port Huron.   This is one of the few places where I can get this angle and it is close enough that I don't have to crop it.
And she makes the turn for the channel.
It was a pretty nice day and was almost 50 in Port Huron.  Given how we've had snow at this time before, it was probably more than I could ask for.
Speaking of snow, I think we are supposed to get some on Sunday.  I hope not.  I'm not really ready for it.
Anyway, enough about that.  I kind of like this shot.
I didn't take my drone with me.
Which is fine because I wouldn't get this shot with it.
The almost beam shot.
And the beam shot.
She heads out into Lake Huron.
One more shot.


No comments: