Sunday, August 23, 2009

The House that Yost Built

I apologize for not updating this blog in close to a week. My proper camera was with Canon, so I had to use my old camera. When I got my camera back (it too less than a week once Canon got it....they are awesome), I caught a cold or something so I didn't really feel like taking pictures. I finally got better today. So...

Michigan Stadium was built in 1927. It is nicknamed "The Big House" because it was the largest stadium in the country (that title is currently held by Beaver Stadium at Penn State but will change when renovations to Michigan Stadium are complete). It orginally held 72,000 but was designed with supports that would allow it to be expanded to 200,000. It's former offical capacity was 107,501 (with the 1 being for Fritz Crisler). It was reduced to 106,201 to accomodate disabled seating due to a lawsuit. After renovations are complete, it will be over 108,000.

And long time radio announcer Bob Ufer referred to it as, "The hole that Yost dug, Crisler paid for, Canham carpeted, and Schembechler fills every cotton-pickin' Saturday afternoon." These are all different coaches through the years.


This is one of the entrances to the stadium.

This is another entrance to the stadium. There is a wolverine statue in the background.

This is a closeup of the wolverine statue. Can't say I'm too enamored by this statue.

This is another entrance with an eagle statue.

This is a closeup of the eagle statue. Now this one, I like.

This is one of the scoreboards.

This is the scorebord with the stadium. One of the things that I liked about the stadium is that it looked low key. You wouldn't believe it would hold over 100,000 people. With the renovations, they took some of that away.

Here's a shot of some of the renovations. It is mostly skyboxes.

A shot from behind the stadium.

A shot from one of the other entrances.

This is my last shot.

No comments: