Sunday, September 18, 2011

Parker Mill Park

So I decided to go to Parker Mill for a walk tonight with a friend of mine. For all the times I have passed by the Park, I don't think I've ever been there. And after my visit, it is kind of a shame because it was a pretty nice park.
One of the interesting things about the Mill is that it is still a working mill. It was built in 1873 and used the water to turn the milling wheels. Operations were ceased in 1958.

The above picture is of a juicer. Apples would be crushed in it to make cider.
This is an apple coring machine.
A milling stone.
The mill was still running when we were there. This is a shot of one of the milling wheels. I will have to go back when I can get the full tour.
A picture of the mill and the other house.
This was built in the 1800's for a family that was emigrating from England. They never used it, so it ended up being used for storage and housing of farm hands. The Park itself used to be a farm at one time.
Fall....
Some mushrooms on a log.
I think this is called Fleming Creek, it is a tributary of the Huron River.
I kind of liked the look of this stump.
Another shot of the creek.
A railroad bridge. About 10 minutes after passing this, a train passed by. I don't think I could have gotten a good shot of it going over the bridge anyway.
Another shot of the creek.
As I said, it was a pretty nice park and I'll have to go back. It is in on the short list of candidates for next year's 12 month project.

No comments: