Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Lee A. Tregurtha in the Snow

Last night I found a website which had some other details on shipping of the Great Lakes.  It belonged to the Maritime Carriers' Association (or something like that) and it had a pretty interesting blurb about the state of shipping on  the Lakes.  Anyway, in there it mentioned that the Soo Locks would be closing on January 15 and wouldn't open until March 25.  So I knew that the shipping season would mostly be coming to a close soon.

This morning as I woke up, I looked at the site that tells where all the ships on the Great Lakes are and saw that there were a couple working their way up the river.  So  I decided to head down to Belle Isle.  If there are no ships coming either up or down the Detroit River tomorrow, these are likely my last ship pictures for a couple months.
 First up was the Lee A. Tregurtha.  She has appeared on this blog before so I'm not going to go into her history but it is an interesting one.  I would have to say she is probably another one of my favorite ships and is one of the more distinctive looking ships.  I tried to take a couple pictures for this one but the ship was too obscured.  I kind of like this shot a little bit though.
 But I think I like this one a little more though because you can make out more of the details in this one.  It's funny, before I took up this hobby, if someone would have told me that I would be standing out in the middle of snowing, I would have told them they are crazy.  But here I was.
 As she makies it up the river a little more.  It's funny, this picture could almost pass off for black and white.
 A closeup of the pilot house.  You can see some of her battle ribbons here.
 As she gets a little closer.
 A better shot of the pilothouse.
 The almost straight on shot.
 As she passes by.
 A little bit of the back of the pilothouse.
 The funny thing about boatwatching is that it seems like it takes the ship forever to appear but it's gone in an instant.
And one last shot of her as she heads to wherever.  I suspect she's heading for her winter layup.

No comments: