Monday, January 2, 2012

The Matthei Botanical Gardens - The Conservatory

It was kind of a cold and nasty day, so I decided to do something that would be inside today.  I went over to the Matthei Botanical Gardens to see the Conservatory because it's been a while since I've been inside that building.  It's actually been a while since I've been to the botanical gardens period, so it was kind of nice change of pace.

The Matthei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum kind of go hand in hand in that they are both run by the University of Michigan but while the Arboretum is by campus the Botanical Gardens are not.  They are still pretty nice to wander around though.
 They still had some poinsettias around from the holidays and it was kind of nice.  The Matthei conservatory is pretty nice because there is plenty of light to use.
 A pair of orchids.  At least I think these are orchids.
 I'm not sure what kind of flowers these are but I like them.
 It's pretty safe to say that I don't know what alot of these flowers are and I'm not about to wing it.
 Another group of poinsettias.
 They have three Bonsai trees.  These were introduced here in 1977 but I'm not sure if these trees are that old though.
 This is another flower that I liked.
 Another poinsettia.
 I really like the look of these flowers and I kind of like how the picture turned out.  The soft light helps it, I think.
 This was part of the cactus collection.
 Another type of cactus.  I like the coloration.
 I really like the looks of this cactus.
 I thought the spiral effect on this one was pretty neat.
 I believe this one was called a century plant.
 Another type of flower.
 I think these were part of the aloe plant but I'm not sure.
 I really liked how this one turned out.
These almost look like peonies but I don't think they would be blooming this time of year.

I kind of thought the flowers were a nice contrast to what was going on outside.

No comments: