Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Lee Tregurtha in the Locks

Probably one of my favorite ships to travel the Great Lakes is the Lee Tregurtha.  She has a pretty unique history among the ships of the Lakes and is probably the only War Veteran of them.  She has appeared on this blog several times in the past, so I'm not going to go into her history too much.
 Here she is waiting for the Cort to pass through the Locks.  It was amazing how many ships were passing through the Locks within the first few hours of their opening.  It is no wonder they decided to open them 12 hours earlier than planned.  I think the Corps of Engineers said that 34 ships passed through within the first 48 hours of opening.
 I tried to get the Administration Building in the shot to give a sense of perspective.
 Still waiting patiently.
 With the Cort cleared from the locks and the water in the Poe Lock lowered, she could proceed into the Lock.  I think she has pretty graceful lines although the pilothouse looks a little odd.
 A closeup of the bow.  I think she retained her bow from World War II.
 I love the Tigers flag flying to the side.
 Here she is passing the Administration building.
 More of a closeup of her pilothouse.
 And even closer yet.  You can see her ribbons from World War II.  I believe she carries a battle star for participating in one of the battles of the Pacific.
 Another closeup of her pilothouse.
 A shot of her as she was in the Locks.
Rather than watching her go through the lock, we decided to wait at the head of the Locks for her.  Unfortunately, my little incident with my memory card destroyed the better pictures from this.  But I do like this one somewhat.

No comments: