Monday, March 26, 2012

The Soo Locks

Another thing I don't think I've ever covered in my posts on this blog is the Soo Locks themselves.  I know I've talked about the ships that pass through them but I don't think I've ever talked about the locks themselves.
 I'm not sure what building this is.

The locks were established in 1837.  Before their creation, ships had to portage around the Saint Mary's Canal becasue of the difference in height between Lake Huron and Lake Superior.
 The administration of the locks.  Up at the top is a control building.
 The Administration Building in front of the MacArthur Lock.  The MacArthur Lock was built in 1943 and named after the General.  It is 800 feet long and 80 feet long.  It can handle most of the ships that pass through the locks.
 I liked the reflection in this shot.
 The locks are administered by the Army Corps of Engineers.
 A closeup of the tower.
 Some of the stone work around the locks. 
 A propellor from an early ship.
Another angle of that propellor.

Most of the ships use the Poe Lock which was lengthened to handle the 1000 footers.

No comments: