Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Algoma Enterprise

So next up is a ship that I haven't seen before.  Well, I've seen her sisters but I've not seen her, so it was pretty cool.  One of these years, I hope to have a picture of every ship that is sailing the Lakes or at least most of them.  Some may prove to be difficult to obtain as they travel mostly Lake Michigan or Lake Ontario but I will try my darndest to do it.
 At anyrate, the Algoma Enterprise passes her fleet mate.  It is always cool to get pictures of fleetmates passing each other.
 The Algoma Enterprise was born as the Canadian Enterprise at the Port Weller Dry Docks in St. Catherines, Ontario.  She was built for the Upper Lakes Company. 
 She is powered by two 4,400 Horsepower diesel engines built in Germany.  She was designed specifically for the coal trade. 
 She is 730 feet long and can carry almost 34,000 tons of cargo.  She is equipped with a self unloading crane.
 In 2011, Upper Lakes was sold to Algoma Central and she was given her current name.  Actually, I like her original name better.
 In 1987, she was stranded in the Amherstburg Channel and had to be freed by 4 tugs.  I guess getting stranded might be the theme for the weekend.
 She's also collided with another ship.
 I'm not a huge fan of the rear mounted pilothouse vessels but I do like the look of this one.
 A shot of her bow.
 And pilothouse.
 Another full on shot.
 An almost straight on shot.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
 And this is where she stopped.  Apparently she needed to fuel at the Sterling Fuel docks but the Calumet was in her way.  So she waited.
And a shot of her Algostack.

No comments: