Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Brief Time in Chicago

I had a brief layover in Chicago, so I took the opportunity to wander around the city a little bit.  I didn't stray too far from the train station though as I only had a couple of hours between trains.
 Fortunately, Union Station is pretty much in downtown Chicago and is pretty close to a number of buildings.  I'm not going to go through the buildings this time though.  I'll pretty much let the pictures do the talking.
 This building is about a block away from the Sears (Willits Tower) Tower.
 One of the things I like about Chicago is the architecture.  There are a number of old buildings sprinkled around town.
 Looking up at the arch on one of those buildings.
 Every so often I find something new when I'm wandering around the city.  This time it was St. Peter's Church.  I'm not sure of the history of this church but I like the building.  It fits in amongst the other buildings.
 A closer shot of the crucifix.  I kind of wish I would have had some time to go inside because I have the feeling it's pretty impressive.
 Another church but I think I've taken pictures of this one before.
 The Cook County Building.  This is the building that was in the Blues Brothers at the end.  I'm so glad I found it.
 The statue that is looking down on the Blues Brothers' car as it falls to pieces.
 Another statue.
 A statue by Pablo Picasso.  It was built in 1967 and is in the Daley Plaza.  It was made with steel from Gary and was made by the American Bridge Company.  There was a fair amount of controversy surrounding it.  Mike Royko who was a columnist in Chicago said, “Interesting design, I’m sure. But the fact is, it has a long stupid face and looks like some giant insect that is about to eat a smaller, weaker insect.” Royko did credit Picasso with understanding the soul of Chicago. “Its eyes are like the eyes of every slum owner who made a buck off the small and weak. And of every building inspector who took a wad from a slum owner to make it all possible.... You’d think he’d been riding the El all his life.”   Damn, I miss him.
 Looking down one of the streets.
 Since I was wandering around on the Saturday before Memorial Day, there was a parade.  This is a group from a local Naval group.
 Some Marines.
 Some members of the Chicago Police.  I love their uniforms.
 Looking down another street.
 There was also a protest against Monsanto and genetically modified foods.  I'm not entirely sure about the controversy though.
 A group of people heading towards the protest.  They tried to get me to go but I had a train to catch.
 The Chicago Board of Trade Bulding.  I was never able to get a full picture of this building with my old lens.  I think I'm going to like this lens.
 A shot of an elevated train as it passes by.
 Another thing I like about this lens is that it gives more dramatic shots of tall buildings.  With my other lens, I don't think I could have gotten the flag in this shot.
 Looking down another street.
 Looking down the Chicago River.
 A pair of boats passing.
 One of the tour boats.  One of these days, I'm gonna have to take one of these.
And back to Union Station to hop on the Empire Builder.  But you knew that since you saw the last post.

No comments: