Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Cason J. Callaway Makes an Appearance

Last week I also came to the conclusion that it has been a while since I've been out boatwatching.  It was almost a month since I last went out which is a long time for me.  I was hoping to head up to Port Huron over the weekend but the shipping schedule didn't support that.  But as I was looking at AIS, I noticed that the Cason J. Callaway would be making a appearance, so I decided to head down to Belle Isle for that.
 I think it has been even longer since I've been on Belle Isle.  In fact, I think the last time was when I was taking pictures of cherry blossoms, so that meant I wasn't even on this part of the island.  So I had to get a picture of the Livingstone Lighthouse.
 And a slighly closer shot.  I should head back to the island to get more pictures with my new lens but I was on a mission this time.
 And then the reason why I went down to Belle Isle appeared.  She was already pretty close and I had to hurry to get the headshot that I like.  Fortunately, I was in positon in time.  She does present a pretty good headshot.
 Slowly she makes her turn to enter the Detroit River.  That is one of the reasons why I like this end of Belle Isle.  You get pretty decent headshots and then you get pretty decent angles like this one.
And then I get the three quarters view.  This is a favorite view of many boatwatches.
 A similar shot with a navigation aid in it.  Sometimes I think I like to have stuff in the shot with the boat.
 And then sometimes I like the closeup shots.  For example a shot of her bow.
Or maybe a closer shot of her bow.
 But I think my favorite angle of boat shots is the full abreast shot.  I think it gives you an idea of the size of one of these ships.  Plus the classic lakers have such a lovely profile.
 But like many things in life, those moments don't last.  The Cason Callaway has things to do and she must move on.  This time she was heading for Zug Island.
 Slowly she makes her way past the Coast Guard station and out of view.
It seems that the Lakes are getting back to normal water levels.  If you remember prior pictures, the water was past those rocks.  Now it is closer to the normal shoreline although I think it is still a little low yet.

Unfortunately, only getting to see one ship only scratched the itch.  I hope to get some more boatwatching in soon, so we'll see.

No comments: