Friday, June 14, 2013

Visiting Seattle

So I'm finally getting back around to posting pictures from my trip.  My destination on the Empire Builder was Seattle.  This would be my second time to visit Seattle.  I didn't do as much this time because it spent the first day I was there raining.  Evidently Seattle is known for having a little rain.

I don't remember if I got into the history of Seattle the last time I visited there, so here goes.  Seattle had been inhabited by Native Americans for almost 4,000 years before the first European settlers arrived there.  The first European Settlers to arrive was a group that was led by Arthur Denny in 1851.  They first arrived at Alki Point and two years later, they moved to the current site and named the town "Seattle" after Chief Si'ahl of the Duwamish and Suquamish tribes.

Logging was the primary industry of Seattle but with the advent of the Klondike Gold Rush in the late 19th century, Seattle became a major embarkation point for Alaska.   This caused Seattle to become a major shipbuilding center and by 1910, it was one of the 25 largest cities in the country.   However, the population contracted a bit during the Great Depression but bounced back during World War II because Seattle was the home to Boeing Aircraft and was also a fairly major embarkation point for the War in the Pacific.  More recently Seattle has become a home to some major tech companies.  It also has a fairly influential music scene.
 The first place I saw was King Street Station.  Last time I was here, the station was undergoing major renovation and it looks like it is complete for the most part.  It was built between 1904 and 1906 by Great Northern and Northern Pacific Railways. 
 The designers of the station also had a hand in the creation of Grand Central Station in New York.
 I have no idea what any of these buildings are called but I will have to say that Seattle has some pretty neat looking buildings.
 It also has a pretty vibrant commerical area.
 After I was settled into my hotel, I decided to wander down to the Pike Street Market.  This is probably one of Seattle's more famous landmarks.
 As you can see, it was a pretty rainy day.
 And the ever present green and white ferries.
 I'll have to say that this makes for a pretty neat sign.
 I really like the backdrop as well.
 I think one of the things that I like about Seattle is the contrast between the older and newer buildings.  There seem to be a number of buildings that date from the late 1800's or early 1900's.
 Again, you can kind of see that here.
 Looking down one of the streets in Seattle.
 This was a plaza that wasn't too far from my hotel and it was on the way to the Monorail.  I believe this is a water sculputre that Ann Arbor could take lessons from.  In the background, you can see a Starbucks.  The first Starbucks opened in Seattle in 1971 and the company has grown steadily since then.
 Looking inside the sculpture.  I tried a slower shutter speed for the illusion of motion.
 The monorail was built for the 1962 World's Fair at a cost of around $3.5 million.  The train and tracks were designed by Alweg of Germany.  The line length is about 1.2 miles, so I guess it is one rapid transit system that is less useful than the People Mover.
 The train moves at a speed of about 45 miles per hour so it doesn't take too long to get to its main destination of the Space Needle.
 Here the monorail operator was talking to one of the kids riding at the front of the train.  I thought that was pretty cool.
 So my destination was the Space Needle.  It also was constructed for the 1962 World's Fair.  The structure stands at 605 feet tall.  It is about a third of the size of the Sears Tower.
 I'd have to say it is pretty neat looking.
 Before I went up into the Space Needle, I decided to head over for some dinner.  They were also having a concert at the same time and I'll have to say that was pretty cool too.
 As I was heading back to the Needle, I saw some mounted policemen.  So of course, I had to take pictures.
 And then I went up into the Needle.  I'll have to say that the view was pretty amazing, but I'm not sure it was worth the price I paid for it. 
 I think this is looking towards the north.
 And the south. 
 The view from the inside.  As you can see, it was pretty busy.
 A closeup of some of the buildings.
 Looking up through rain soaked glass.
 And back to the Monorail.
 Another view of the monorail.
 Heading back to the main part of town.
 And of course, I couldn't resist pictures from the Monorail.
 Back to the Mall area.
 Nordstrom's was founded in 1901.  Originally, they just sold shoes and expanded into other lines as a result of the boom created by the people heading up to Alaska.
 Another view of a building.
 Looking up through a rain soaked windown.
 Across the street from King Street Station is Union Station.  I don't think it is being used for transportation though.
 The view of Seattle from the south.
 Seattle is also home to the Gold Rush Museum.
 An example of some supplies.
 I took a picture of this wheel because it showed your chances of striking it rich.  The little yellow needle is your odds of striking it really rich.  The blue band is your chances of living comfortably from the Gold Rush.
 Smith Tower is in Pioneer Square in Seattle.  It was constructed in 1914 and until 1932, it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi.  It remained the tallest building on the west coast until the construction of the Space Needle in 1962 (and I think that has been surpassed as well). 
 It is definately a unique looking building.
 A statue dedicated to the Seattle Fire Department.
 Another angle of the Smith Tower.
 Looking up at the Smith Tower.
 Another pair of buildings.
 At some point, I decided to head down to the waterfront.  The ship on the right is one of the tour boats.
 A building that was converted into restaurants and what not.
 A view of Seattle from the waterfront.
 Another of the ferries.
 Looking down at the docks.
 Another view of downtown.
 A sculpture of an octopus made from stainless steel.
 Another view of the Pike's Market sign.
 Looking down a street.
 Another street.

 I kind of wish I'd gotten a better picture of this building from another angle because it is a fairly unique looking building.
 Looking down another street.
This is the hotel I stayed at.  I think it was a hotel that was renovated at some point.  It definately had an old feel to it but the rooms were very nice.  If I find myself in Seattle again (which is likely), I will stay there again.

So there you have the whirlwind tour of Seattle.

No comments: