Saturday, June 15, 2013

Riding on the California Zephyr - Day Three

So this was my final day on the California Zephyr.  Sadly, the interesting part of the trip was behind me and for the most part we were passing through farm fields.  I guess it's just as well, it gave my camera a much needed break.
 The morning found me waking up in Omaha, Nebraska.  We had a little excitement as the police were checking the train for something.
 I think we were passing along the Missouri River for part of the trip.  Again, things were pretty calm and it made for nice reflections.
 A pretty typical scene for the day.
 There was a point where we had to wait for some freight trains.  The first one.
 And the second.
 This is Ottumwa, Iowa.  It is the fictional home of Radar from MASH.
 Looking down the main street.  I think.
 As we approached Burlington, we passed through an old train yard.  I saw this pair of old style diesels, so of course I had to take a picture.
 Looking down one of the streets of Burlington.
 A shot of the Burlington Skyline as we cross over the Mississippi River.  This pretty much meant I was in the home stretch.
 I like the looks of this Bridge too.  Again, a fairly calm river made for some reflections.
 I'm not sure where this Church was.
 One of our stops was in Galesburg, IL.  Galesburg was the home of the poet Carl Sandburg.  It was also the site of one of the Lincoln debates.
 One of the gate guardians.
 I kind of liked the looks of this barn.
 Another gate guardian.
 I really liked the looks of this barn.  Probably my only complaint about travelling by train is that sometimes I'd like to stop and take pictures of scenes like this.
 I think this is Naperville, IL.
 One of the yards we passed through on the way to Chicago.
A view of the Chicago skyline as we approach.   It was a nice enough day too.  It seemed like crappy weather plagued my whole trip.

No comments: