Thursday, February 22, 2018

Catching the Algosteel

One of the things I missed out on while I was in the hospital was taking ship pictures.  By the time I was released, the shipping season was over but there are normally a couple of ships that sail between the closing and re-opening of the locks.  The subject of this post is one of them.
 After going up to Port Huron on Friday, I found out that there was a boatnerd gathering on Friday.  I headed up there for that.  On Sunday, I found out that the Algowood would be making her way up north, so I caught her.  I also saw that the Algosteel was heading back from Chicago.  I thought that I would catch her on Monday.
 Well, it turns out that there was an issue with the Hollyhock, so she had to wait for the Bristol Bay to come up from Detroit.  After being freed yesterday, the Algosteel made her way down Lake Huron with a destination of Sarnia.
 Having followed the boats for a while now, I know that it is roughly 19 hours from the Mackinac Bridge to the Blue Water Bridge, so I figured I needed to be in Port Huron around 2 P.M.
 My estimate was close and I didn't miss any of her journey to the port in Sarnia.
 I heard that she may be heading down to Windsor, I guess I'll keep my eyes open for that since I don't return to work until March 12.
 I hope that I can catch her again, because I heard she's only got a couple more loads in her.
 And then she faces the scrapyard.
 It will be sad day when that happens, because she is a beautiful boat.
So until next time....

No comments: