Monday, October 29, 2018

The USS Sioux City passes Detroit

Sometime on Wednesday, the USS Sioux City left Marinette, Wisconsin to make her trek to the Atlantic Ocean.  It didn't really register on my radar.
 On Thursday, she ended up docking in front of the Renaissance Center.  I was thinking about seeing her because I thought I had a chance to see another ship.  That didn't pan out and I decided to planewatch instead.  On Saturday, I was going to go to the Eastern Michigan game but it was misting and a little on the cold side.  I still feel like I'm recovering from my surgery (even though it was a while ago) and I didn't really want to catch anything.  It wasn't too bad to spend a little time outside though, so I decided to head down to Detroit to catch her.
As I got to Milliken State Park, I heard the Sioux City blew her horn.  I've been around ships long enough to know that she was preparing to leave.
I headed over to Riverside Park in order to catch her passing.  It was a little bit before I was able to see her because it was pretty foggy and misty.  But I think fog and mist make for cool pictures.
 Especially when you can catch some smoke.
 The USS Sioux City is the first ship to be named that.  Sioux City is the fourth largest city in Iowa.  Her keel was laid down on February 16, 2012 and she was launched on January 30, 2016.  She will be commissioned in Annapolis, MD on November 17, 2018 at the Naval Academy.  She is the sixth ship to be delivered from Marinette.
 She will be assigned to the Fifth Fleet in the Persian Gulf. 
 I will admit, she is kind of a nice looking ship but I still don't really like their capabilities.
 It seems like the Navy would be better served by updating the Oliver Hazard Perry class ships.
 She passes under the Ambassador Bridge.
I kind of wish the Navy would make a little more of a to do when these ships pass Detroit.  It seems like they stop here to refuel and it seems like they stay a few days before moving on.  It would be nice if they offered tours or something while they are here since it is not often that the people in the area get to see a Naval vessel.
She continues on her way down the Detroit River.  Yesterday she was in the Welland Canal.  I'm not sure how long it will take her to get to Annapolis though.

1 comment:

dowdy49581@gmail.com. said...

Great to see seaships pass thru the Great Lakes.