Thursday, August 13, 2020

Catching the Herbert C. Jackson

 The next ship is the main ship that I wanted to catch.  She is a classic laker and I wanted to get a classic laker with my drone.

The Herbert C. Jackson is a fairly busy boat.  She usually takes several short (short being relative) trips on the Great Lakes.  In this picture, she was coming up from Cleveland after delivering a load of iron.
Accoring to her AIS, she was heading up to Rogers City.  According to the map, it is about 170 nautical miles to Rogers City from Port Huron.  That is about 195 statute miles.  A nautical mile is one minute of latitude along any line of longitude.  It was first used in the late 1500's.  Usually ships do around 12 knots on Lake Huron, so that is about 15 hours of travel time.
She starts to make the turn for the channel leaving Port Huron.
A shallower angle.
This is probably my favorite angle for a ship.  It gives you an idea of the length while also giving you an idea of the width.
She start to finish her turn.
The bow shot that makes taking pictures at Port Huron special.
The makes the turn for leaving the channel.
the sun was beautiful by the time I caught her.  I have to say it was almost the golden hour.
And then I took the air.  I will have to admit, this is the shot I wanted when I got  my drone.  I should have skewed a little more to the left so that I could get a straight on shot.
The Jackson approaches my drone.
She is framed
The almost beam shot.  As I said, I will have to learn how to shift the camera so that I don't have to back it away as much.
The beam shot.
She continues out into Lake Huron.

One of the buildings to the side.

And one more shot with my normal camera.
 

No comments: