Saturday, August 8, 2020

Catching My Hometown Boat

 When I went down to Riverside, I thought that I was going to catch two ships.  I wanted to catch both of them but I could only catch one of them.  The one I caught was the one I really wanted to catch though.

The Ojibway was built in my hometown of Bay City at Defoe Shipyards as the Charles F. Hutchinson.  I think she is the only surviving lake boat to have been built in Bay City. 

She passes the Renaissance Building.
I think the Ojibway may be the last classic straight decker left in existence and running.  The Edward Ryerson is a straight decker but she is in long term layup and it is likely she will never see service again.
There's kind of a clean look to these ships.  Unfortunately, the lack of self unloading equipment limits their usefulness.
It was actually a pretty nice day but there were enough clouds to give some subdued shots.
But then there were enough breaks in the clouds to give some nice sunlit shots.
the Ojibway with Windsor in the background.
Another angle of that.
She starts to approach the Ambassador Bridge.
The Westcott comes up to make a delivery.
the Ojibway starts to pass the bridge.
The Westcott starts to nestle up against the Ojibway.
The Ojibway passes the Bridge and Westcott is making her delivery.
the Ojibway continues downriver and the Westcott starts to pull away.
I don't remember where the Ojibway was heading.  It is entirely possible she was heading for either the grain elevator in Widsor or Toledo.
the Westcott returns to her dock.
 I'm pretty sure she was heading down from Thunder Bay though.

No comments: