Thursday, October 8, 2020

Catching the John D. Leitch

So I had one more ship in my "classic laker" day.

While she has an unusual configuration, I still lump her into the classic laker category.
She has her pilothouse forward, which is a trademark of the ships that have sailed on the Great Lakes for many years.
She was built in 1967 and that makes her old enough to be a classic.
She was built for the Upper Lakes company which is one of the traditional laker company.  She used to be known as the Canadian Century before Upper Lakes merged with Algoma Central.
Because of her hull shape, if you notice it bulges out a little bit and the shape of her pilothouse, she has a larger capacity than many classic lakers.
Before the introduction of the thousand footers, she had the largest cargo capacity on the Lakes.
The shape of her pilothouse makes it look like she has an office building on her front.
In fact at one time, they called her the "bank that floats".
Many in the boatnerd community don't like her.  They call her ugly.  I don't.  she is unique yes but when is uniqueness also ugliness?
I hope she shoulders on for longer.
And then I switched to my drone.
She was on her way to Quebec City.
And I think she arrived there either late yesterday or early today.
And that makes it about a 4 day journey.
I'm not sure what she was carrying but I hope she leaves soon.
Because I think that means I'll see her upbound.
She sails on the smoothe water.
A view of the Renaissance Center.
A view of the western end of Belle Isle.
One more sweeping view.
And then I started to land the drone.


No comments: