Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The Holland Harbor Lighthouse "Big Red"

 So I ended up heading over to Holland, Michigan on Saturday.  I saw that the Mississagi would be heading to there.

I ended up heading to the State Park and I saw that the Mississagi was starting to make her run into the channel.  I had a little time, so I took some pictures of the lighthouse.
After taking pictures of the ship, I had some battery time on my drone and I didn't really want to charge it up without using the charge, so I took some pictures of the lighthouse.
I will have to admit that getting lighthouse pictures with the drone is pretty cool.  It gives me a chance to get some angles that I normally don't get.  it is especially helpful on the west side of the state because often when I am over there, I am shooting into the sun.
In 1872, a small wooden structure was built here to use as a lighthouse.  In 1907, it was replaced with the current structure.
It is known as the Holland Harbor Light or "Big Red" by the residents.  It is difficult to get to because you have to go through a private subdivision.  If I remember correctly, it costs $5.
The channel connects Lake Michigan with Lake Macatawa.
So with my drone I was able to get some views that I don't normally get.
One more shot before moving on.
 

No comments: