Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Five Channels Dam

 I was going to get some pictures of the Sturgeon Point Lighthouse but the weather didn't want to cooperate with me as it was raining when I got there.  I stayed for a little bit hoping that the rain would clear but I didn't want to lose light for other pictures if I got the chance.

I continued up the coast until I got to Alpena and then I cut over on M-32 until I reached M-65.  I headed south on M-65 to head home.  M-65 used to go right by this dam but they had to build a new bridge but there is still a road that heads over here.  I decided to get some drone shots.
The Five Channels Dam was built in 1911 and 1912 by the then Consumers Power Company (now Consumers Energy).  It was constructed by the Foote Brothers and company sought to provide a healthy environment for the workers as construction of the dam was completed.  They had an iceshed, central water supply and sewage.  Workers could build a house instead of living in tents.  The camp was moved for the construction of the nearby Loud Dam.

The dam provided power for the nearby mills.  I think it still provides power today.  At anyrate, it provides a pretty cool waterfall.

No comments: