Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Algoma Transfer at the Soo Locks

I think one of the cooler things that can happen when I'm at the Soo Locks is if I see a ship that I have seen elsewhere.  Given that I spend a good deal of time on the Detroit River, it is starting to get pretty likely that I will see a ship that I've seen on the Detroit River at one time or another.  Seeing this ship was pretty cool because it has such a cool history.
Here she is preparing to enter the MacArthur lock.  The Poe lock was busy with the McCarthy and the Algoma Transfer is small enough to fit in the MacArthur lock.  It would be nice if someone would get off their behind and start working on the upgrade of the Davis and Sabin locks.
The Algoma Transfer gets a little closer.   You can kind of see the International Bridge behind her.
She is almost in the lock.
A little closer now.
I decided to take a shot of the depth marker, so you could get an idea of just how much water is moved.
The Algoma Transfer is in pace and the water is starting to go down in order for ships to enter Lake Huron.
The water is almost emptied.
The Algoma Transfer as she pulls out of the lock.
She followed the McCarthy pretty closely, so here she is as she passes Sault Ste. Marie.
As you can see, it started to rain.
A closeup of the pilot house.
A nice shot of her length.
Heading somewhere to the south.  Unfortunately, there was a big splotch of rain on my lens, so the front looks a little icky.

No comments: