Friday, November 2, 2018

The Honorable James L. Oberstar in the Soo Area

These pictures aren't entirely in order.
 The other ship that I caught was the Honorable James L. Oberstar.  She was heading towards the Soo Locks from Marquette.
 She makes the turn to enter the St. Marys River.  Actually, I'm not 100% sure if this is the spot where the St. Marys River starts or if its at the lighthouse.  Anyway, it makes for a nice view.
 She waits patiently to lower to the level of Lake Michigan.  In Marquette she would have picked up a load of taconite.  Taconite is purified iron ore processed into pellets.  Much of the iron mined in this area gets processed like this.
 She gets a little lower.
 It wasn't too long before she passed Mission Point.  It was kind of a cold morning but the river was somewhat calm.
 I like the way her scrubber makes it look like she is a steamship again.
 It also was raining a little bit and that played a little havoc with my lens.
 And she continued down the river.
 And passes on of my favorite points.
If I didn't work the next day, I could have caught her entering the Rouge River.

No comments: