Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Huron Spirit Passes By

As I was waiting for the Sykes to arrive in Port Huron, I saw that the pilot boat was coming in.
 Port Huron is one of the transfer points for pilots on the Great Lakes.  Saltwater ships are required to have a licensed pilot on the Great Lakes.
 These pilots aren't hired so much for their knowledge of the waters but they are supposed to make sure that the foreign crews don't do anything nasty to the Lakes.  Basically making sure that they follow environmental laws.
 There are transfer points at Duluth, Thunder Bay, the Soo Locks, Detour, Port Huron, Detroit and somewhere in the Welland Canal.
 I think most of these pilots are Great Lakes captains that are looking for a different type of work.  I think it also more regular work than being on a Great Lakes ship.  By that I mean they can have regular hours.
She continues on.

No comments: