Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Catching the Calumet

 The Welland Canal closed at 11:59 PM on December 31st.  The Soo Locks closed at 4 AM on January 16th after allowing the Walter McCarthy to head down to Lake Huron.  Normally the Soo Locks close at midnight but they will let any ship that leaves the Duluth area at Midnight on a certain day.  The McCarthy met that criteria.  The Welland Canal will open the week of March 8th.  The Soo Locks will open at 12:01AM on March 15th.  Both have been drained so that much needed maintenance can be performed.  If their work is completed and the ice is melted, they may open early but I doubt it.  I kind of wish the Soo Locks would open with the same fanfare as the Welland but oh well.

Anyway, my window for boatwatching has shrank considerably.  The only ships that are stirring around after they make their final voyages are about two or three Canadian ships that deliver road salt and the two or three tankers that make deliveries up to the Soo and Nanticoke.  While there are a few opportunities, there isn't much variety.
The Calumet was coming down for her final trip of the season.
She was heading down to Conneaut, Ohio.
And I think she was carrying either a load of stone or iron.
After completing her load, she would move over to Ashtabula where she would lay up for the winter.
Sometimes the shipping companies will use this time to do some tuning up of their ships.
Much like the locks, they are ridden hard for close to 10 months.
Generally, there is much time to do maintenance, so any maintenance is likely deferred maintenance.
Anyway, I caught her at Belle Isle.
I almost wasn't going to go because it was looking like it might be an ugly day.
The sun was peaking out as I headed over there but it didn't stay that way.
She continues down the river.
Giving a stern shot.
I really like the looks of this style of ship.
They remind me of warships.
Normally the last picture would be my final one, but I saw that there was a ship leaving the Rouge River.
I remembered that I could go boatwatching at Belanger Park which is in Ecorse.
It has been a while since I've used this park but I think I should use it more often because it makes for a nice view.
She passes by.
Almost a beam shot.

And the beam shot.
She continues on her way.


No comments: