Saturday, August 21, 2010

Frankenmuth Again....

I had a free dinner waiting for me at Zehnder's because it is the month of my birthday, so I decided to meet my mom in Frankenmuth. The dinner was pretty good as usual and the sun wasn't down yet, so I decided to do a little wandering which was probably a good thing because I ate a little too much.

Frankenmuth was originally settled by people from Germany. At some point they decided to retain some of that German flavor and is now a fairly large tourist destination in Michigan. Tonight was no different as there were lots of people around.

This is the glockenspiel above the Bavarian Inn. It was completed in 1967 and it depicts the story of the Pied Piper of Hameln. It plays every 3 hours from Noon until 9 P.M. and is pretty neat to watch. The carillon, clock and figurines were all imported from Germany.

This is a toy soldier standing out in front of the Bavarian Inn.

This is a fountain depicting a May Pole. I really liked this shot.

Another statue on the fountain.

This was probably my favorite shot. I like the sprays of the fountain and the reflections on the statue.

You can grab a ride on a carriage and it will take you around town.

This is the top of a Veterans Memorial Statue. I kind of like how this shot turned out.

A globe sculpture.

This was pretty neat, there was a celebration of some sort going on. These folks were pretty good.

This covered bridge was built in 1979 by using the methods of the old days. It was built by hand and was pulled into place with horses.

A shot of the bridge with a boat under it.

A more full shot of the bridge.

No comments: