Monday, February 18, 2013

The Manistee Lighthouse in the Winter

Before I got my camera and dove into photography, it was very rare that I would venture the state in the winter.  Winter presents some unique photography opportunities but it also presents some challenges.  So in continuing my attempt to get winter lighthouse pictures, I headed over to the west side of the state again.  This time, I headed to the northwest and started with Manistee.
 I believe this is a channel marker, but I liked the way that the ice was forming around it.
 If it were painted red, it would remind me of the South Haven light because of the catwalk.  It still is a pretty cool lighthouse in its own right.  Sadly, it is a reminder of busier days for Manistee.
 The first light was on the south pier (which would be the one with the channel marker) but it burnt down in 1871 (incidentally on the same day as the Chicago fire).  There were several lights before this one was built in 1927 and is constructed of cast iron.
 This tower has been rebuilt and currently houses a 300mm Tideland Signal Acrylic light and can be seen 15 miles out to sea.
 In 2009, the light was put up for sale.  It has definately seen better days.
 I'm guessing that the rust is from the windblown sand hitting it.
 One of the things I like about many of the lights on the west coast is the fact that many of them have catwalks.  If you look at the pier, you can see why.
 Pulled out a bit.
 Pulled out a little more.
The tower itself is 39 feet tall.

No comments: