Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Couple Hours in Deshler

As it was, I only spent a couple of hours in Deshler.  I got a pretty late start and I was doing trivia tonight, so I didn't want to spend too much time there.
 A couple of hours is plenty of time in Deshler though.  Generally there is a fairly steady stream of trains that passes through.  The only problem is that it seems like that stream slows down a little bit in mid-Afternoon.
 I still think that the rail park in Fostoria is nicer, but I like the views here.  Especially since you can get some shots with old rail buildings in the background.
 I'm trying to learn what the different signals mean.  Since this is an old B&O signal, it is in the process of being phased out.  I think that yellow means that there might be a train heading towards the signal.
 Green definitely means be on the look out for a train.
 And this was the train I should have been on the lookout for.  Had I been a little more confident in what the signals meant, I would have been in a different place to catch it as it passed a pond on the other side.
 Another angle.
 This is an engine that is owned by Citigroup.  I presume they are leasing it to CSX.
 A view that almost says it all.
 Occasionally, I will see some graffiti that I like on a train.
 A skull and some fish thing.  Apparently they are building America.
 An evil mastodon, I think.
 I'm not sure why Stimpy would be holding a sickle but he is.
 This is more like it.
 I kind of like it when you see fallen flags on a train.
 The thing my cat is named after.
 Graffiti philosophy.
 Another engine passing.
 I kind of liked the way the coal dust was fogging this picture.
 I believe this is another lease unit.
 Another shot of an engine passing the water tower.
 A train of engines.
 The lead engine.
And it passes.

1 comment:

Kevin Hammer said...

Cool shots of the graffiti- they seem to be getting more detailed.

By the way, just west of Deshler, the village of Hamler has a German music/food fest July 24-26 -- the railroad runs right behind the bandstand, so the bands get a little interruption now and then. http://hamlersf.com/HSF/HSF_Home.html