Thursday, September 28, 2017

Passing Through Bettsville, Ohio

On Sunday morning I was going to go to the Magee Swamp Wildlife Area and hopefully catch some eagles.  Unfortunately, I hit my snooze button too many times and ended up getting a later start than planned.  I still ended up going to Magee but I did not see any eagles.  Fortunately, that was only part one of my plan for the day.  So I decided to head south towards Fostoria.  I wanted to do some brief trainwatching before proceeding with the other part of my plan.
 I ended up taking a different way to Fostoria from Magee.  It took me through a couple of different towns.  One of the things I used to do quite a bit on here but haven't in a while is relaying the histories of the different towns that I end up passing through.
 In 1834, John Betts purchased 68.5 acres of land in Liberty Township, Ohio.  Four years later, he would survey it to form 21 lots.  Seven years after that, Bettsville would have seven family dwellings, two churches and two shops.
 The town would continue to expand.  In 1912, during a particularly cold winter, the entire north side of the street would burn to the ground.  Eventually, they would rebuild.
Currently it has a population of 661 (or at least since the last census).

No comments: