Monday, December 22, 2014

First Up...the Sam Laud

The first ship I saw yesterday was the Sam Laud.  I'll have to say that it was pretty cool seeing a ship in a different setting.  Apparently, the steel mill in Cleveland has been pretty busy lately and therefore several ships have been calling there.
 I saw that the Laud was docked, so I decided to look for a place to get a picture of her.  It was in a place called Edgewater Park.  It is the park that is next to Wendy Park.
 The Sam Laud was waiting here while the Buffalo (more on her later) was unloading at the steel mill.  The Sam Laud and Buffalo will sometimes serve as shuttle boats.  Larger boats will bring the ore to this particular dock and the shuttle boats will carry it down the river.
 A shot of Cleveland in the background.  I do have to admit that Cleveland has a pretty nice skyline.
 A closeup shot of the Sam Laud.
 I pulled this shot to give a view of the piles of taconite.
 A different angle to get the Coast Guard station in the picture.
 I was back to Wendy Park to get pictures of the Buffalo as she left the Cuyahoga River.
 After the Buffalo left, the Sam Laud would go into the river.
She was backing towards the channel.
 Then she started to make her turn to enter the channel.
 It gave me a pretty cool headshot.
 She starts to head into the channel.
 A closer view of her.
 Looking up at the pilothouse.
 A group of seagulls waiting on the self unloading crane.
 This is not a usual angle for me.
And she starts to head into the Cuyahoga River.  Interesting fun fact, the Sam Laud appears at the beginning of the movie "Major League".

No comments: