Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Arthur M. Anderson Makes Four....

I wasn't sure I was going to catch the Arthur M. Anderson yesterday.  When I checked AIS the night before, I saw that she was unloading at Zug Island.  I wasn't sure how long that was going to take but I was fairly certain I was going to miss her.
 The Arthur M. Anderson holds a special place in many boatnerds' hearts.  She was the last ship to contact the Edmund Fitzgerald on the night she sank.  She is also a pretty nice looking boat to boot.  Like I said, I caught her as she was fueling and I hoped to catch her as she left the dock.
 It wasn't too long after the passing of the Frontenac that she started to move.  I decided to head to a spot between Marysville and the Bridge to catch her as she passed.  As I said, she was unloading at Zug Island and she was heading up to Stoneport which is near Alpena.  There she would load stone and go somewhere.
 It's actually not too bad of a spot.
 And it gives me a chance for a beam shot.
 As she continued on her way, I headed up to the Blue Water Bridge.
 It didn't take too long for her to appear at the Blue Water Bridge.
 I think these are some of my favorite views because I can pretty much see all aspects of the ship.
 But of course, my favorite is the head shot.  It is kind of a weird feeling to see a ship heading straight for you.
 But then she turns to make her way towards the channel.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 A sort of beam shot. 
 Framed by the bridge.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
 A shot of her stack.  The stacks of the different fleets are distinctive.  While I like these stacks, I think I prefer the Lower Lakes or Algoma stacks a little more.
 Just in case you forgot what ship we were taking about.
 A shot of her stern with the flag flying in the breeze.
 She continues on to Lake Huron.
 I kind of like this shot with the stones in the foreground.
And one more before moving on.

No comments: