Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Next Up...the Honorable James L. Oberstar

The next ships were bonus ships because I wasn't really expecting to see them.
 The first of those ships was the Honorable James L. Oberstar.  It has been a while since I have seen her.  In fact, the last time I saw her was a night, so my pictures of her weren't the greatest.
 She is named after James L.Oberstar who was a Congressman that served in Wisconsin.  He was a pretty strong advocate for Great Lakes shipping and he died in May of this year.  He was given a salute by the ship named after him.
 With her, I started at Marine City, I figured that was my best chance to catch her as the light was starting to wane on me. 
 A shot of her deckhouse.  Interlake has been around for over 100 years.
 I kind of wanted to get the moon in a shot with her, I kind of like the look.
 Next I headed up to St Clair.  I wanted to get some more pictures of her.
 I didn't quite get the picture I wanted though because I was messing around too much.  St. Clair does give a brief chance for a headshot.
 An almost profile shot.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 Another full beam shot.
 Another shot of her stack.
She started her journey yesterday in Toledo and her destination is Two Harbors up in Minnesota.  As I type this post, she is around Drummond Island waiting out the weather up there.  I would imagine she is getting pretty close to making her last trip of the year.

No comments: