Saturday, December 16, 2023

The American Spirit on a Dreary Day

 I was deciding what to do today.  There wasn't much in the way of river traffic and I already missed my chance to catch the Pere Marquette.  I looked again and saw that there was a 1000 footer coming down and a Canadian ship coming up.  I was still kind of waffling because I didn't want to deal with traffic but boats won out for me.

The 1000 footer was the American Spirit.  She is one of the 1000 footers that I like.
Even though her pilothouse is in the back, she still looks kind of like a classical ship.
Since she has the scrubbers, the white steam make her look like a steamship as well.
I almost didn't have these pictures as I kind of screwed up with the format button.  Fortunately, I have a recovery program that works pretty well.
Except doing that pretty much ends any picture taking I'm going to do.
She is coming off from Lake Huron.  I think she was coming down from Marquette.
She was heading down to Toledo with a load of iron, I think.
She is probably going to support the iron mill that is there.
I think that makes her the second thousand footer to do so.
The bow shot.
She makes the turn for the rest of the channel.
One more shot with my normal camera.
I switched to my drone.  It wasn't too windy but it was getting dark.
I like shot.
It gives you an idea of just how long she is.
She starts to pass.
The almost beam shot.
A beam shot as she passes the Huron lightship.
She continues down the river.
Her wake isn't as odd as some of the other ships.
You can see the next ship in the background.


No comments: