Sunday, December 31, 2023

Catching the American Mariner

I was kind of waffling again today.  The weather didn't look like it wanted to cooperate.  It was still raining a little bit here, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down to Detroit.  I looked at the weather for Detroit, other than being cold, it should be fine.
The American Mariner was coming downbound.  I think she was actually heading down from Silver Bay but I am not sure.
Silver Bay is about two hours to the northeast of Duluth.  It has an ore dock and rail line feeding into it.
I was thinking about going there when I was up in Duluth for a week but I didn't have time and I don't think anything was going there anyway.  Although I hear the drive is nice because it is along the famous Highway 61.
So consequently she has a load of iron.
And she is taking that iron to Conneaut.
Conneaut is a little over 12 hours away from Detroit by ship.  This was after a roughly two day trip from Silver Bay.
As you can see, it was a little foggy out but not too bad.
I kind of like the mood it sets.
An almost clear background helped by the fog.
I like watching these giants of the Lakes, even though the Mariner is one of the smaller ships.
She passes Windsor.
Another part of Windsor.
She approaches the Ambassador Bridge.
The Bridge in view.
Partially passed.
She almsot passes.
The bridge tower near her pilothouse.
She makes her way down river.
The Canadian tower in view.
The Canadian side of the Bridge in view.
One more shot of her.

No comments: