Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Ship

As we arrived in Mackinaw City at the Park, I looked out on the Lake and saw this ship sailing away. This is a shot in front of Mackinac Island. I wish I knew what ship it was because it looks odd.

Note: Thanks to an alert reader, I think this is the Lee A Tregurtha. She was originally laid down as a tanker named the Mobiloil. Shortly after her construction she was taken over and renamed the Samoset. That name only lasted about 5 months as she was taken over by the US Navy and renamed the USS Chiwawa.

In 1960, she was lengthened and converted to a Great Lakes ore carrier. She still serves in that capacity.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I believe this is the Lee A. Tregurtha. The reason she looks a bit odd is that she was originally built as an oceangoing oil tanker during World War II. She was converted to a Great Lakes ore carrier in 1960. A history of the vessel and pictures of her throughout the years can be found at http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/leeatregurtha.htm

Mikoyan said...

Thank you. I think you may be right.