Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Mackinac Bridge Again...

Another one of my favorite subjects to photograph is the Mackinac Bridge. I'm kind of surprised that I went up there so soon after finishing the 12 month project but I do like the drive and it was a nice day up there. Coming back was a different story though.

I just went to the park in Mackinaw City. The park by St. Ignace is usually closed during the winter and isn't easy to get to. As you can see, the lake is completely frozen over. It looked like there may have been some spots of open water but I think those were spots that the ice had blown away.

I took this shot using my lens at 28mm, I wanted to give an idea of the distance of the bridge. The Straits are 5 miles across.

Sometimes I like to frame my subject using trees and what not. So this is an attempt at that.

This is probably one of the more common shots of the Bridge, using the birch trees to frame it.

I kind of like this shot where the towers are almost lined up and you are almost looking straight at the bridge. Unfortunately, the park was pretty snowy, so I didn't feel like walking around too much.

The sun was getting lower in the sky and hitting the bridge more directly. It's amazing that such a cold day can also be such a bright day.

I took this shot using my medium sized zoom lens.

This shot was near the fort. Although the fort was closed, they did have a path cleared to sort of get to it.

The sun was setting a little more, and I wanted a shot with more pinks and purples in the sky.

A shot at night. You can see the reflection of the bridge in some of the clear spots on the ice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really liked the 12 month project with the Mackinac bridge. I took a picture once from the southwest corner of Fort Michilimackinaw towards the bridge which captured both the fort and the expanse of water with the bridge. Worth trying for once the fort is open again.