Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Peninsular Paper Company...Part Many

I'm not going to go into much detail on this place as I've covered it many times here before. This is probably one of my exceptions to my general rule of not taking pictures of abandoned buildings. I kind of like the looks of this building, plus the sign is relatively intact.

Construction of the paper mill began in 1867 with the first paper being produced in 1868. This particular building housed the power generation facilities for the mill.

The company originally went into business to supply the Chicago Tribune.

The dam was a gravity dam. In the 1980's, the land was bought by Ypsilanti and converted to a park. Unfortunately, it's a park that you only want to visit in the daytime.

And overall shot of the dam and building. The paper mill was torn down in 2000 and the land converted to apartment buildings. They retain the Peninsular name though.

2 comments:

Clarice Starling said...

Have I said a hundred times how f-ing cold it is there???? Nice pictures though. I like the old sign. Nostalgic.

Mikoyan said...

I know how cold it is here....I think somewhere there is a picture of that...:)