Friday, June 23, 2017

Mad Dogs and Frenchmen

It seems that the arrival of the Royal Jordanian 787 on Friday evenings is going to be a regular thing for a while.  I'm fine with that since the morning is not conducive to my work schedule.  As a result, I decided to head over to the airport.
 It was a much nicer night tonight but there were still a few clouds in the sky.  While I like blue skies for plane pictures, some clouds in the background are nice.
 My first plane of the evening was a Boeing 717 arriving from Milwaukee.  The 717 is the continuation of the DC-9/MD-80/MD-83/MD-88/MD-90 series and therefore I will call it an honorary Mad Dog.
 Even though it has rear mounted engines and a t-tail, I can't call this CRJ-900 a Mad Dog.  It does however belong to GoJets and was arriving at DTW from the land of Cheese Heads (Green Bay).
 The MD-11 certainly qualifies as a Mad Dog. 
 This one was serving as Fed Ex 505 Heavy from Memphis, TN.  I think this is a Monday through Friday flight.  One of these days, I would like to catch one of the morning cargo flights.
 A CRJ-900 that was arriving from Akron.
It's amazing how many places these planes come from.  This CRJ-200 was arriving from White Plains, New York.
 I know this is a 737 because it belongs to Southwest.  This one was arriving from Baltimore.
 Some airlines have cool callsigns to go with their planes.  GoJet has the call sign of Lindbergh.   I would imagine that would avoid confusion.  Linbergh 6181 was arriving from Raleigh-Durham.
 I can't make out the tail number of this plane, but I'm pretty sure its a CRJ-900.
 My favorite aircraft by far is the 757.  Well it is at least my favorite commercial aircraft.
 This 757-300 was arriving from Los Angeles.
 Another CRJ-900 where I can't make out the tail number.  I suppose I would like the CRJ's more but there are too many of them.
 A Delta Airline 737 arrives from Boston.
 Of course the plane that I really wanted to see tonight was the Royal Jordanian 787.
 It was starting to look like I wasn't going to be able to see this plane tonight as it kept getting delayed leaving Amman, Jordan.  I almost thought they were going to forgo this flight.
 This plane left Amman, Jordan at 1:58PM EEST which is Eastern European Summer Time.  This is three hours ahead of UTC (or Zulu Time or GMT depending on which you prefer) which makes it seven hours head of us.  Meaning that this plane took off at roughly 7:00 Eastern Daylight Time.  It arrived in Detroit at roughly 7:30PM EDT which meant it was a 12.5 hour flight.
 At any rate the 787 is a pretty neat plane and Royal Jordanian has a pretty neat livery.
 N707EV is a CRJ-700 belonging to ExpressJet.  They have a cool call sign of Acey.  This one was arriving from Dulles.
 Another plane that I was hoping to catch was Air France 378 which was a flight from Paris.
This flight left Paris at 4:20PM Central European Summer Time.  CEST is 2 hours ahead of UTC which means that it is 6 hours ahead of our time zone.  So it left Paris at 10:20AM EDT.  It arrived in Detroit at 7:20PM which made it a 9 hour flight.  If I remember correctly, it is a slight shorter flight the other way.

I do like the looks of the A340 but I wish I could see either the DC-8 or 707 again.

No comments: