Sunday, May 19, 2013

Following Algosteel Up the St. Clair River

As I said yesterday in my Michipicoten post, it looked like a busy day on the River.  There were quite a few ships either heading upbound or downbound, so I couldn't really miss that.
 The Algosteel was not one of the ships I was expecting to see though.  I thought she was a little further down the Lake St. Clair but I'm not going to complain because she's a beauty.  I didn't have much time to take a picture of her because she was already well upbound.
 But a stern shot is always nice when you are going to see the ship again.
 Next stop was Marine City.  Since ships move slower than a car, it is fairly easy to follow them up the river.  But since they don't have to contend with traffic lights and slow cars, it can be tricky.  Still, Marine City makes for a nice setting for ships.  Not too much in the background.
 A closeup of her bow.
 A three quarters profile shot.  This is probably my favorite next to the headshot.
 A side shot of her pilothouse.
 A closer shot of her pilothouse.  I really like the look of the classic laker.
 A shot of her Algostack.
 And she starts to move off.
 One more shot before moving off myself.
 Next stop was the park at St. Clair.  As you can see, it was a pretty nice day for boatwatching.
 Another closeup of her bow.
 Another three quarters shot.
 Even closer to her bow.
 And a shot of her pilothouse.
 I think I'm going to like my new lens for this reason.  I can mostly get the side shots.
 And she pulls away.
 Sometimes I think they should rename her to Algorust.
 A shot of her stern.  I was hoping to get the flag flapping in the breeze though.
 And she pulls off.
 Next stop was Port Huron.
 Another shot of her bow.
 Another straight out shot.
 She pulls off.
 A better shot of her Algostack.
 Another shot of the rust dripping down her.  Something tells me she's not long for this because over the winter they had her carrying salt.  That's like the last step I've heard.
 Another rear shot of her pilothouse.
 One more shot of the rust and stuff.
And one more shot before she leaves.

No comments: