Thursday, May 16, 2013

Wandering Around Eastern Michigan University

So I got my new lens tonight.  It is an 18 to 55mm lens, so it is a little smaller than the lens it is replacing but I've wanted something on the smaller end to get more wide angle shots.  My only issue is that I don't have overlap with the next lens up, but I don't think that will be much of an issue.
 One thing I've noticed right away is that I can get some closer closeup shots.
 I should be able to do some wider angles.  Anyway, enough about that, I decided to walk over to EMU's campus tonight.  It was a nice enough night to do so.
I'm not sure why there is a British phonebooth in front of EMU's music building, but there is so I took a picture of it.
 This is Alexander Music Hall.  This is the classroom building for music classes.  It was built in 1980 and was designed by Wakely Associates of Warren, MI.  I will call it a Modern Architectural Style and the rooms were designed specifically for music classes.  The designers took special steps to insure the acoustical integrity of the building and the rooms were designed in a way so that there sound wouldn't carry to other room.  It is named Frederick M. Alexander who was the Music Department Head for EMU from 1909 to 1941 (although it was Michigan Normal College at the time).
 The Quirk-Sponberg building was built in 1959 and re-dedicated in 1984.  It also has a modern style to it.  It is named after Daniel Quirk, Jr., who was a member of one of Ypsilanti's founding families and philanthropist who donated to EMU and a number of theater causes.  When I did my mini walking tour, you may remember his house.
 This is Goddard Hall, where I used to live for three years.  At the time, it was the Honors Dorm and now it lays fallow.  It used to house the University Computing center at one time too.
 It was named after Mary A. Goddard who was a professor of botany at the time.
 I kind of like the details on the building.
 On the other side of Goddard is Jones Hall.  It also was an Honor Dorm at one time and a few of my friends lived there.  Sadly, it also lays fallow.
 Roosevelt Hall.
 Pierce Hall.  This houses some of the administration functions of the University.
 The Alumni Memorial Chimes which was donated by alumni and dedicated to the students of EMU that died during World War II.
 Looking up at the tower.
 Pease Auditorium.
 Another view of the tower.
 A statue of Diana.
 I really think I'm gonna like the closeup abilities of this lens.
 I think this is a lilac flower.
 A statue of Dr. Martin Luther King.
 No tour of campus would be complete without a picture of Ypsilanti's most famous landmark.
 Or another picture.
 McKenny Hall.  This used to be the student center at one time.
 Starkweather Hall.  I believe this is the oldest building on campus.
 Briggs Hall.  At one time, this would have been the football and baseball fields.  When I was a student this housed the registration building and was a hell hole.
 Sherzer Hall.  While I was student, they had a fire here and they did a really nice job restoring it.
 An old school house.
 I think this is a tulip.
 Looking down in the tulip.
 Pray-Harrold.  Constructed in 1969, this building is as old as I am.  It was named after Carl Esek Pray who was the head of the Social Science and History Department from 1914 to 1938.  He was a popular professor and nicknamed "Daddy Pray" and there was a bust commissioned of him that is in Halle Library now.  Pray cared about immigrants and formed an "Immigrant Class" to help them get assimilated to the United States.  The other part of the name is for Charles Harrold who was an English Literature professor.
 One of the walking paths.
 This is not something that was here when I was student.  They added a pond and stuff behind the IM building.  It is actually quite nice.
 The new Student Center and it was built fairly recently.
 The Rec IM building.  This bulding has an Olympic sized pool and a smaller club pool.  It also houses a bunch of gyms and other recreational facilities.
Another angle of the Peninsular Paper Company.

2 comments:

MoriKAY said...

I'm a fairly new transfer student to EMU. I haven't had too many classes on campus. But this blog was great. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Any known information on the images at the top of the Peirce Hall Bell tower would be appreciated. I can clearly see three demon heads and Two owls on each side. I walk past it sometimes and just noticed it. Makes me beleive the architect put three more demon heads on the other side I don't normally see. It is very disturbing to see this, demons and owls are satanic and pagan images.